Friday, March 1, 2013

parent prep

This is a post for the wonderful mothers in my ward whose children I have watched in the past and grown to love just oh-so-much. My first Sunday in Sacrament Meeting after having the baby, I had this overwhelming impression to write some thoughts down, and here is what I ended up with.

When I was a sophomore in college, my parents called me up one day and told me that they were moving from our home of 9 years in Sugar Land, TX to the town in Connecticut where all of our New Jersey friends had moved to a bajillion years ago. Not only were they leaving, but they were leaving soon. 2 weeks! I had to digest that blow rather quickly. I'd thought I'd be bringing my children to Texas to see their grandparents, that I'd be able to return to my childhood home at my own leisure, and that I'd always have an excuse to return to the Great State. I was devastated. I was resistant to come home that summer after my sophomore year was over but I had had a pretty stressful year and had been sick a lot so all reason directed for me to take a break and go home, to my parents' new home here in CT.

Just before coming home my mom had a bright idea. She knew a lot of new young moms in the ward in New Canaan who needed babysitting help or other around the house stuff done and thought I could get a full time job out of it. I rolled my eyes at her through the phone. I hated babysitting. I'd always wanted to be a mom and I liked kids but for some reason I'd always avoided babysitting in the past. But it sounded like good money so I decided I'd give it a try. I ended up being booked to the rafters. Not only the new moms booked me, but moms with older children booked me too! And their friends booked me! I was the busiest babysitter ever!

That first summer home 5 years ago is when I got to know some absolutely wonderful children. I had the absolute best time spending time with them, laughing at their jokes, helping out their moms, shuttling kids around, and picking up messes. Who knew?! I couldn't wait to come back at Christmas and Thanksgiving to see all the new little friends (and mom friends) I'd made and couldn't wait to come back the next summer and do it all again! (Little did I know I'd come back engaged...)

Still, I got another great summer out of your kids and was sad to say goodbye when it was time to go back and finish school. When Bradley decided to look for work out here I was excited to come see everyone again. Lucky for me, all my little buddies fell in love with Bradley just like I did, and we got to spend more time with them, together as a team. Now we finally have a new little sweet soul of our own and I absolutely know I would be nowhere NEAR as prepared for her without all the precious time I've spent with all of your wonderful little (and some bigger) ones. I don't know how much longer my family will be here but I am positive that we were here for a reason: to prepare me and Bradley for parenthood, and I am so grateful to everyone here who helped shape us into parents. Hopefully we'll be good ones (:

2 comments:

  1. You will be great parents!! Thanks for watching my kiddos from time to time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here, Here, Karla, I second that. Great Parents. AW... well said my young friend. Well said. We do love you - both of you, plus little bit. We love your whole darn family. You fell into our hearts so fast, feel like we have known all of you for so long. Bittersweet! We really want to keep you.
    My particular favorite memory of you two is your very awesome Hogwarts school uniforms at HP7.2 premier. I was in my mad-hatter cape, Jackson as Quidditch Harry, Campbell as Slytherin, and Kenny of course MUGGLE. (Smile)
    I think we had homemade BBQ Chicken sandwiches on the way down. Memories at the Ziegfield, Geeks for Life. We rock.

    ReplyDelete